United Nations SC Resolution 425
March 19, 1978
|Middle East||Mewzine||peacewatch||contents||books||history||culture||dialog||links||more links||donations|
UN resolution 425 was adopted March 19 in response to the Israeli invasion of Lebanon (Operation Litani) on March 15. It calls for withdrawal of Israeli forces. The resolution calls for "strict respect for the territorial integrity, sovereignty and political independence of Lebanon" but makes no mention of the Syrian troops that had been in Lebanon since 1976.
RESOLUTION 425 (1978)
Adopted by the Security Council at its 2074th meeting on 19 March 1978,
The Security Council,
Taking note of the letters from the Permanent Representative of Lebanon and from the Permanent Representative of Israel, Having heard the statement of the Permanent Representatives of Lebanon and Israel, Gravely concerned at the deterioration of the situation in the Middle East and its consequences to the maintenance of international peace, Convinced that the present situation impedes the achievement of a just peace in the Middle East,
1. Calls for strict respect for the territorial integrity, sovereignty and political independence of Lebanon within its internationally recognized boundaries;
2. Calls upon Israel immediately to cease its military action against Lebanese territorial integrity and withdraw forthwith its forces from all Lebanese territory;
3. Decides, in the light of the request of the Government of Lebanon, to establish immediately under its authority a United Nations interim force for Southern Lebanon for the purpose of confirming the withdrawal of Israeli forces, restoring international peace and security and assisting the Government of Lebanon in ensuring the return of its effective authority in the area, the Force to be composed of personnel drawn from Member States;
4. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Council within twenty-four hours on the implementation of the present resolution.
RESOLUTION 426 (1978)
Adopted by the Security Council at its 2075th meeting on 19 March 1978,
The Security Council,
Approves the report of the Secretary-General on the implementation of Security Council resolution 425 (1978), contained in document S/12611 of 19 March 1978,
2. Decides that the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon shall be established in accordance with the above-mentioned report for an initial period of six months, and that it shall continue in operation thereafter if required, provided the Security Council so decides.
Timeline Main History Page of MidEastWeb
Main Middle East Historical Documents Page
MidEastWeb - Middle East Conflict News, History, Maps, Resources, Dialogue, Peace Education
Middle East Gateway